10 Most Popular Bachelor’s Degrees
To receive a college degree used to be something reserved only for the elite upper class. Today, to even hope of getting a starting career a bachelor’s degree is a necessary requirement. The job market is more competitive than ever, and everybody is looking for a way to move up the income ladder.
Thanks to the advancement of online degrees, more students than ever are going back to school in hopes of increasing their job potential. So what are people studying and where are the best jobs? Here’s a look at the 10 most popular Bachelor’s degrees to see for yourself what kinds of opportunities are out there and what other people are taking advantage of today.
1. Business Administration – Business is always at the top of the list in terms of popularity. Entry level business jobs start around 55K and many students will continue their education even further with an MBA program.
2. Criminal Justice – Criminal justice is more of a hands-on career, but is just as popular as business. It carries with it a wide range of career paths working with the government in various departments. Starting salary here varies by area but is generally in the $40k range.
3. Psychology – Psychology has also always been very popular and appeals to many different people. Careers in this field can receive their PhD and go into private practice or work with social services at an entry level position. Starting salaries without a graduate degree can be around $45k.
4. Nursing – Nursing is one of the most popular degrees and is one of the few that can provide benefits while you continue schooling. A CNA certificate can get you working in the field in as little as one year while you work on your RN and your nursing degree. Graduates can earn a starting salary of $40,000.
5. Education – Despite the poor salaries of teachers, education is always a popular career choice, especially for women. Teachers put in a lot of hours and are underpaid at less than $40,000/year, but receive innumerable benefits and priceless rewards.
6. Engineering – There are many different types of specialized engineering degrees, and they all put degree holders in the top tier of income earners. Of the highest paying jobs, 11 out of the top 20 are engineering related. Petroleum Engineering specifically is one of the most lucrative degrees you can achieve starting at $85K.
7. Health Administration – This has a wide range of opportunities including nonprofit organizations, social service and welfare programs, other governmental roles, the healthcare industry and much more. You can expect to find a starting salary of $40k.
8. Computer Sciences – This is one of the most in-demand fields today. Technology is exploding and taking over nearly every industry. A computer science major may enter this field with a starting salary of $50k or more.
9. Accounting – Bean counting might not be the flashiest degree, but it’s job security. CPAs can earn over $45k as they begin their careers, and can count on increasing that salary year after year in a variety of career roles.
10. Human Services – Human services is diverse and rewarding. Geared towards those who enjoy giving back and helping the community, this rewarding and hands-on profession has starting salaries in the $30k to $35k range.